Lead Data Scientist- Population Genomics
London, Flexible Working
I am working with a client in London who is looking for a Lead Genome Data Scientist for an exciting new programme to tackle the lack of diversity in genomic datasets. Many personalised medicine findings only apply to European ancestry groups because those are the genomic datasets that have been used for research.
Their goal is to make the National Genomic Research Library as diverse as the UK population, or more so where we need to over-index to get to powered cohorts. You will have a key role in leading, developing and delivering the analytics arm of this programme, collaborating with their experienced genomics data scientists as well as internal and external stakeholders.
Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Creating tools, including developing, prototyping and validating new features for genome analysis to enable better diagnostics, clinical management and research in underrepresented populations
- Develop bioinformatics datasets and resources to enable downstream analyses
- Communicate with stakeholders, in particular the research and clinical community, to ensure relevance
- Ensure high relevance and excellent standards of genomic analysis
They are looking for a leader who can inspire, nurture, support and motivate other members of the team that can deliver to strict deadlines with the focus on delivery-oriented data-supported strategic decisions.
They want someone with the following skills/experience:
- Excellent knowledge and a passion for human population genetics or genetic epidemiology, ideally with a focus on diverse population, e.g. ancestry inference, genetic mapping in stratified populations, polygenic risk scores in diverse populations, etc.
- Background in statistical genetics, statistical bioinformatics, biostatistics or a related discipline
- Strong programming skills in Python and experience with cloud-scale data processing and high-performance computing
If you are interested in finding out more about this position then please send you CV to Sabrina at email@example.com