Bioinformatician - Diverse population genetics
London, Flexible Working
I am working with a client in London who is looking for a Genomic Data Scientist to play a key role in the new diversity programme to tackle the lack of diversity in genomic datasets.
You will be working with an exceptionally talented team of Data Scientists and will work in collaboration to provide support to their research partners.
Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Create tools, including developing prototyping, and validating new features for genome analysis to enable better diagnostics, clinical management and research in underrepresented populations
- Benchmarking tools for quality control, processing and analysis of whole genome sequencing data- alignment, variant callers for types of variants
- Develop algorithms for variant prioritisation/ classification to improve their diagnostic potential
- Developing, prototyping, and validating new features for genome analysis in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders
- Scan the scientific literature to identify new approaches to genome analysis that can be implemented to improve their capabilities
- Contribute to the publication and dissemination of their learnings in the form of scientific papers, white papers, conferences, etc.
The company is looking for someone with experience in:
- PhD, or equivalent experience, in one of the following: genetics/genomic with a strong computational component, statistical genetics, genetic epidemiology, bioinformatics with the focus on human genomics
- Excellent knowledge and a passion for human population genetics or genetic epidemiology, ideally with a focus on diverse populations (e.g. ancestry inference, genetic mapping in stratified populations, polygenic risk scores in diverse populations, etc).
- Strong programming skills (Python) and experience with cloud-scale data processing and high-performance computing
- A passion for diverse data/population genomics
- Experience with full cycle of analysing NGS data from sequencing
If you are interested in finding out more about this position then please send you CV to Charlotte at firstname.lastname@example.org