Bioinformatics Engineer - Big Data London * Flexible working *
This is a great opportunity for a strong software engineer / developer with extensive experience within bioinformatics to join a world-leading genomics organisation in London.
You will be responsible for developing and operating digital products aimed at solving a wide variety of bioinformatics needs in genomic medicine by crafting production quality code. Key Accountabilities Include:
Essential Skills Required Include:
- Produce high quality code
- Be a proactive member of a squad, adopting agile practices, offering subject matter expertise
- Perform computational analyses for a range of projects
- Implement software solutions for high-throughput sequencing data analysis and genome analysis and interpretation (long-read sequencing)
- Establish general bioinformatics resources for day-to-day use by colleagues
- Contribute to the team’s continuous improvement efforts
- Ensure that they adhere to the various standards and accreditations required for both clinical laboratory practice and software delivery
- Work with the engineering chapter to ensure adherence to software engineering standards and best practices.
- Know and understand the meaning behind our virtues of Empathy, Integrity, Focus, Connection, Speed, Curiosity, Impact and embody them in all aspects of your role.
Desirable Skills Required Include:
- Excellent Python coding skillset
- Solid skillset in Bioinformatics, understanding of the standards, data sources and tool chains used in NGS and clinical genomics
- Proficient in Linux, Git, Postgres (or similar RDBMs)
- Solid expertise of developing production quality algorithms and software to analyse large data sets
- A demonstrable ability to cope under pressure and deliver to deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively within a multidisciplinary team
- Flexible and co-operative approach to colleagues
- Ability to work independently and to show initiative within a team
- Ability to prioritise and balance competing demands.
- Excellent technical writing skills.
- Experience working in agile environments and demonstrable effectiveness working in agile squads
- Experience in building code using CI/CD
- Experience in building code using DevOps practices
- Experience building microservices
- Experience in Django
- Experience of NoSQL databases such as HBASE, Solr/ElasticSearch
- Experience in genomic data analysis and visualisation
There are some great benefits on offer with this role including the opportunity to work with one of the most ground-breaking genomics organisations in the country. There is a substantial pension scheme, competitive salary and generous holiday allowance.
If you would like to apply or hear more about this opportunity please do not hesitate to contact me either via email email@example.com or phone 01216163466.
Furthermore, if you are interested in hearing about other roles within the Bioinformatics and Genomics industry please feel free to contact me for a confidential discussion.
Keywords: Bioinformatics, Software, Developer, Engineer, Bid data, Genomics, computer science, coding, Computational, Analysis, Pipelines, NGS, Linux, Python, Git, PostgreSQL, Django, NoSQL, CI, CD, DevOps, Algorithms, London.